Creative space for lease, shared with other working artists. Upside is a great spot to develop your art career.
- Convenient location in the Mission District, just 4 minutes walk from 16th Street BART, with plenty of great food nearby.
- 24×7 access, with 10pm to 8am quiet time.
- Lots of tools and machines, including CNC router (4′x8′), CNC laser (36″x51″), mig welder, metal cutter, band saw, and scissor lift.
- Kitchenette, back yard, meeting room, office space, and copious loft storage space.
Lease terms start at 6 months, and monthly rates at $500, depending on space requirements.
Upside is home to a supportive community. You’ll work alongside professional artists, amateur makers, and eager volunteers. We like to encourage and inspire–we’re all here to make each other better.
More about our current tenants and staff.
Our large indoor space (25’x60′ footprint) has high ceilings (28′), outdoor backyard for painting, mezzanine for desk work, industrial shelving for storage, and a 14′ roll-up door for big deliveries.
When larger projects land on your plate, you can expand as needed using project leases.
Q: What media are welcome?
A: All types of creatives are welcome, but our space is especially suited to woodwork, paint, LED/electronics, welding/metalwork, jewelry, sculpture, and papier-mâché.
Our space may not be suitable for artwork sensitive to dust or noise, or projects that require dedicated space or privacy.
Q: How much space is available?
A: We realize projects expand and contract, so generally provide just enough dedicated space and plenty of shared space. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your space needs.
Q: What’s the process for new lessees?
A: It’s a pretty simple process:
- Meet with Jocelyn, get a tour, and discuss your needs
- Sign our lease agreement and safety waiver
- Set up recurring monthly payments (via Square)
- Take training classes for CNC (optional)
Q: How does sharing work?
A: Sharing space requires tenants be flexible, communicative, patient, and forgiving. Artists communicate directly with one another, and use our coordination tools (e.g. Slack, GCal) to avoid conflicts. Hug it out, y’all.
Q: Can I try using the space before signing a lease?
A: Absolutely! Just sign up for a monthly membership, use the space for a while, and decide if you like our vibe.