Our little society welcomes all kinds: artists, makers, hobbyists, volunteers, patrons, muses, and hype team.
Membership includes full use of the space and equipment, 24/7, and invites to all our events and big builds. Membership also supports local artists and the community. It’s like a gym membership for your creativity muscles.
If you might want to join, click this button to begin the process with a few quick questions, or contact us to see the space:
Benefits for You
As a member, you’ll be one of us. That means:
- 24/7 access to the workshop
- Access to our community tool bay
- Members only pricing on CNC router and laser
- Training classes for equipment and techniques
- Learning from professional artists
- Invitations to artist socials, performances, and auctions
Impact of Your Support
Your monthly dues of $83.33 help us provide affordable workspace for artists in the heart of San Francisco, which is:
- Equipped for working with a variety of materials, from metal to wood to electronics
- Easily accessible via public transit–vital for volunteer teams
- Conducive to growth and skill development via collaboration and mentorship between artists
- Flexible enough to accommodate even very large projects
- Welcoming to all genders, colors, cultures, and identities
Our workspace is a dream come true for us, and we are super grateful to have your help in making it sustainable.
Q: How does joining work?
A: It’s a pretty simple process:
- Fill out a short intake questionnaire
- Visit us to receive a key, tour, and some legal paperwork
- Set up recurring monthly payments (via Square)
- Take training classes for use of equipment (optional)
Q: What equipment is available?
A: We have almost all of the equipment needed for woodworking, metal working, and electronics.
This includes computer controlled equipment. We have a CNC router (4’x8′), CNC laser (36″x51″), Glowforge, vinyl cutter and two extrusion 3D printers. We also accept requests for and donations of equipment.
Q: Should I clean up between working sessions?
A: Yes. Upside is a shared space, and there might be other people who need space before you get back. If it’s impractical to clean up, just chat with Jocelyn about temporarily reserving space.
Q: Do you accept donations?
A: Yes! Monetary, material, or equipment donations are all gratefully accepted. Please just contact us to discuss.
Q: What if I need more space for a big project?
A: Exciting! We offer project leases for team builds.
Q: Do I need to be a member to use the CNC machine?
A: Generally our CNC machines are exclusively operated by members or tenants with a studio lease or project lease. If you only need occasional CNC jobs, we recommend hiring one of our experts.
Q: How is membership different from studio rental?
A: Studio renters enjoy a dedicated storage area and may include a dedicated workspace. This is perfect for someone who works full time, has employees or needs to secure a larger work area.
Whereas society membership provides 24 hour access and use of communal space. Work stations are to be broken down and cleaned at the end of each work day. Membership is perfect for someone who isn’t ready to make the commitment of a daily work schedule. Storage fees are additional.